Category: World News Written by Admin
The United Nation children's fund, UNCIEF on Thursday called for concerted efforts to prevent malaria deaths and illness, noting that insecticide-treated bed nets are key to control the menace.In a statement issued in Nairobi to mark the World Malaria Day, UNICEF said there have been impressive gains and successes built on strong partnerships and the generous contributions of many donors which could be quickly lost if sustained focus and investments are not maintained."It is unacceptable that every day more than 1,500 children still die from a preventable and curable disease," Nicholas Alipui, UNICEF's Director of Programs said in the statement."We must distribute insecticide-treated nets to all who need them, provide timely testing for children and appropriate medicine when they are infected."According to UNICEF, malaria still kills 660,000 people every year, most of them African children.Universal coverage of insecticide-treated bed nets is key in making gains against malaria – one of the largest killers of children in the world in the world.UNICEF in collaboration with its partners, champions and supports governments to undertake the free distribution of insecticide-treated nets – especially long-lasting insecticidal nets.Kenya's health stakeholders have called for integrated vector management ahead of the World Malaria Day to be celebrated across the world on April 24.The Kenya has made positive steps in malaria control with hospital admissions falling by more than half in high-risk districts."For children under five, the mortality rates have also fallen by 44 percent based on statistics captured between 1999 and 2006," Ministry of Public Health and Sanitation Head of Division of Malaria Control Dr. David Soti said last week.It is estimated that enough nets were delivered over the last decade to cover 80 percent of requirements in Sub-Saharan Africa. In 2004, there were just 5.6 million bed nets in sub-Saharan Africa.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 April 2013 15:26
Category: World News Written by manager
Luanda - The United Nations' top human rights official urged Angola's government on Wednesday to reduce the huge disparities between rich and poor that have developed in the oil-rich country despite considerable progress since the end of a 27-year civil war in 2002.
Angola, which is Africa's No. 2 oil producer, has posted rapid growth since the end of the war, but opposition parties and rights groups have long accused President Jose Eduardo dos Santos of doing too little to combat widespread poverty.
Speaking in the capital, Luanda, after a three-day visit, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay praised the government for progress in rebuilding the country's infrastructure and clearing thousands of landmines.
“This development has not been without controversy,” she said. “Two issues that have consistently been brought to my attention are the huge disparities that have developed between the richest and the poorest, and the sometimes harsh methods used to evict people from land earmarked for development, especially in and around Luanda.”
Dos Santos, who has been in power since 1979, was easily re-elected last year for a new five-year term during which he has pledged to improve the distribution of Angola's vast oil wealth.
His government says it cut poverty levels to about 39 percent of the population in 2009 from 68 percent in 2002, and increased public spending in this year's budget by over a quarter to help improve social conditions.
Pillay said she stressed in a meeting with Dos Santos on Wednesday the importance of cutting the wealth disparities over the next four or five years.
The UN official said the president and Cabinet ministers accepted that problems remained and seemed genuinely committed to improving human rights.
She said, however, that the government must tackle alleged abuse - especially sexual abuse - of migrants by security forces and border officials that has persisted for the past decade, especially on the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo.
“During my visit to a remote border crossing in Lunda Norte, I received indications that sexual abuse of female migrants is continuing, as well as theft of property,” Pillay said.
Recognising that the irregular entry of tens of thousands of migrants every year, many seeking to dig illegally for diamonds, causes major problems and that the government has the right to deport them, she said it must do so humanely.
Pillay said other problems included implementation of laws on freedom of expression and assembly, including the “heavy-handed” suppression of protests, and the fact that millions of Angolans, including 68 percent of children under age 5, had not been listed in the national identification registry. - Reuters
Last Updated on Friday, 26 April 2013 23:27
Category: World News
A doting, smiling mother cradles her first born caressing his tiny fingers in her hand. But 16-year-old Affiong Ene Essien is close to tears when she describes her journey to motherhood and says she was almost forced to give up her baby for adoption.
Last Updated on Thursday, 27 September 2012 14:07